Hyped up about Hyperdocs!

     So as part of my new-ish job, I am trying to learn and practice new strategies so that I can share them with teachers.  Since I am a former math teacher, I practice with math lessons I used to teach. One of the new things I have been learning about is Hyperdocs. I highly recommend you click on that link and learn more about them! Also, you should check out this episode of the Google Teacher Tribe podcast where they talk about Hyperdocs!

I am really impressed how they are taking student- directed learning to a whole new level.  I have done something like it before (see my Probability Slides assignment or my Proportional/Non-Proportional slides assignment) but I hadn't ever thought of including all the student work in the same document!

Anyway, I had to start playing.  I started with my Proportional/Non-Proportional assignment and turned it into this Hyperdoc. I was definitely impressed with how much more engaging the hyperdoc looked.  I also really like how the template has a reflect piece built in.  But then I got thinking.... what are some other topics that kids struggle with that I could play around with?

For my former 7th grade math students, one issue was area of a circle.  They have a hard time relating the formula to actually finding area.  We have done an activity in the past, but with cutting and glue, the lesson never quite turned out like I wanted.  So I thought this would be a good one to try.


And as I played with the hyperdoc, I tried to image scenarios where students would struggle. So I decided to create one with answers.   Creating the hyperdoc with answers helped me see where teachers would have to answer a lot of questions.  This is why I added the light purple shading - this is where students should put their answers - and I really like tables - it helps organize the information for the teacher and the student.  

What do you think?  Have you created your first Hyperdoc yet?  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Math Icon Board

Remote Learning Recommendations, part 1

My Personal User Manual