My first week plan

So I have been thinking about the first week of school.  Here is my plan (unless my administration has different ideas).

Day 1 - I want my students to get to know me and I get to know them.  They are going to get a lot of info on the first day, so I figured we would wait until day 2 for more of my info.

We are going to make posters like these. Middle School Math Rules is an amazing blog and I love reading her ideas!  Each class will have a different color of post-it and I am going to have these 4 prompts.

  •  Our classroom should be ___________ everday.
  • Math is important because _______.
  • Mrs. Wassmuth can be most helpful by ________. 
  • This will be my best year of math because _________.
Their 'warm-up' will be filling out their post-it notes.


Day 2 - I want my students to get to know my expectations.

I talk a lot of respect (and it is expected) in my classroom, but there really isn't anything in my guidelines or on my walls to remind students.  I love these classroom guidelines by Created for Learning!

I made my own using Canva:


Right now, I am thinking their 'warm-up' will be writing down what the word 'respect' means to them. 


Day 3 - After a year of binders, I am going back to interactive notebooks.  I liked them a lot more and I think my students got more out of them vs the binders.  So today my plan is to set up their notebooks.  I really like Sarah Hagan's idea of Problem Solving Strategies, so I will make sure to include them in the notebooks.  Their notebooks will also include copies of their STAAR charts.    


Day 4 - My classroom one of the Next Generation Digital Classrooms in my district.  Last year I didn't spend a day getting the kids used to my Samsung tablets (partly because we were having so many issues with wifi and log-ins) and I realized I should have.  So this day we are going to get used to the tablets.  I will also introduce them to my website/Google Classroom/anything else I get set up by then.  




Comments

  1. So fun! We're super excited you're finding our classroom guidelines helpful for your students as well. These are always a clear reference point all year long. I highly recommend getting a poster made so they can see it all year. Good luck! Keep on being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! We're super excited you're finding our classroom guidelines helpful for your students as well. These are always a clear reference point all year long. I highly recommend getting a poster made so they can see it all year. Good luck! Keep on being awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Math Icon Board

Remote Learning Recommendations, part 1

My Personal User Manual