This week's focus: Inquiry

This week I am hoping to incorporate more inquiry in my lessons, specificially in my onlevel classes. This week we are learning about circumference and area of circles, and rather than just teach them the formulas, I thought it would be more meaningful for them to actually experience it.  It is also a great unit to read some story books - like Sir Cumference and the First Round Table.


Tuesday's plan is to read them the book to help with vocabulary and then have them work on an activity that has them examining the relationship of the circumference and diameter using yarn, and then measuring the diameter with a ruler to estimate the circumference.  I got it from For the Love of Teaching Math, but I can't find the actual file, which is why I haven't linked it.  There are similar activities in her store.

I think the story will help with recall of circle vocabulary and by seeing that a little more than 3 diameters make the circumference will make this "stick" more than me just giving them notes.  We will recap tomorrow's lesson on Wednesday with some quick notes and then some independent practice.

Thursday will also be more inquiry about area. I saw this blog post about using squares that have sides equal the the radius to cover the area of the circle.  I tried this a couple of years ago, but I think I didn't do a great job and the kids didn't understand.  Now I have more background knowledge and more teaching experience, so I am ready to try again!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Math Icon Board

Remote Learning Recommendations, part 1

My Personal User Manual