Everyone should sell Girl Scout Cookies

My life right now is a little crazier than normal... because it is Girl Scout Cookie Season!




I am the Cookie Mom - which means I order the cookies, track the cookies, and collect all the money.  My girls have been very helpful so far this season with getting cookies organized and making sure the members of our troop get their initial orders.  And it got me thinking... everyone should sell Girl Scout Cookies!

Okay...maybe shouldn't everyone shouldn't sell GS cookies, but as a math teacher, I think it is beneficial to students to be involved in some sort of business endeavor.  As cookie sellers, here are some skills (math and real life) that my daughters are learning and improving on:

- addition (determining a total for a customer)
- subtraction (determining change for a customer)
- multiplying (determining a total, since all our boxes are $4;  figuring out how many boxes when given the number of cases)
- dividing (determining how many cases when given number of boxes)
- communicating with customers (sharing cookie flavors, troop goals, etc)
- goal setting (for personal or troop goals)
- handling rejection (especially when someone declines cookies as at a booth) 

I think overall it has been good for the girls, and it would be beneficial for all my students... wonder if I could turn this into something for my class ;)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Math Icon Board

Remote Learning Recommendations, part 1

My Personal User Manual