The little things that matter

Today was the first day back for my students, and while I was trying to wipe the sleepy dust from my eyes, I thought maybe it would be nice to have another day or two off.

 Then I got to school and I realized I was happy to be there and I was happy to see the students.

You might be asking, why?

 I was happy because I got to see their faces light up with excitement when I asked them about their Christmas break. I watched a lot of it unfold on Instagram (so I knew a little) but I wanted more details. The kids were happy to share and were excited that I asked. One student, who I haven't taught, asked me about my recent trip and shared with me one of his trips to the same place.  Without social media helping us make that connection, this might be a student that I would never talk to.


 I know there are a lot of good teachers who don't want to connect with students outside of the school building. That's fine for them, but that doesn't work for me. I want to know them, good and bad, inside and outside of school, so hopefully I can help them reach whatever goals they have (or help them set some educational goals). I want them to share with me and I want to share with them. At any age, it is about the relationships.


 I am thankful for social media for helping me connect with students at my school (whether or not I have ever been their teacher). I understand that there are certain limits to be set. For me, Instagram is about my relationships with my students, and Facebook/Twitter is for the grownups in my life. I keep the two pretty much separate (except for an occasional picture that goes from Instagram to Facebook, but never the other way around).


 So if you are reading this and thinking about using social media with your students, I would urge you to try it. I am happy I did, because it brings me those little things that matter - like smiles on a cold day.


picture courtesy of Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Math Icon Board

Remote Learning Recommendations, part 1

My Personal User Manual