Math is Real Life! 

It is the first Wednesday of November, which means it is time for Math is Real Life! I actually had an recent experience in my house that I shared with my students how my husband and I used the skill they were learning to make waffles.

On Saturday morning tradition is to have waffles or pancakes for breakfast. A couple weeks ago, my husband and youngest daughter decided to make waffles and to use what pancake mix was left in the box.   I was in another room, but when I heard my husband say " 2 times one and a half equals 3", I ran into the kitchen and said "What did you say?" He replied "The recipe calls for 2 cups of mix, but there is 3 cups, so I figured out that 2 times 1 1/2 equals 3, so I will multiply my other ingredient amounts by 1 1/2 to determine what I need".  Well, I was a giddy mess, because in my ACCEL class I was introducing Multiplication of Fractions on Monday.  This is a topic that the kids always question me why they need to know it, and here I had a real life example!

My husband wouldn't let me videotape him, and I wasn't ready for video either, so I captured the event on Audioboo.  And I played it for my students on Monday.  Isn't it awesome how math just pops up?!



A monthly REAL WORLD math blog link-up hosted by


Comments

  1. I love that you made that audio recording! I bet your kids loved it!

    Jennifer
    Teaching to Inspire in 5th

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great moment to overhear! I love how you even grabbed it via audio to share with your kiddos! Thanks so much for linking up! We'd love to have you again next month!

    Mathematically yours,
    Jamie aka MissMathDork!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Math Icon Board

Remote Learning Recommendations, part 1

My Personal User Manual