Thinking Cards

In my previous post,  I listed my goals for this summer. One of them is to plan for how I am going to help students with a growth mindset.  One of my Twitter friends, Justin, sums it up my issue nicely!

So how do I help them without just enabling them? How do I give them strategies, rather than them just giving up and waiting for me to help them?

I came up with an idea - Thinking Cards. The cards will be color-coded, and in folders attached to a wall. Students will be able to grab one whenever they need it.

Card #1 will be red - it is for when students have no idea where to start.


Card #2 will be yellow - it is for when students have gotten started, but get stuck somewhere in the problem solving process.


Card #3 will be green - it is for the student thinks they could be done, but aren't sure if they are.  An added bonus to these cards - hopefully they will reinforce the idea of "reasonableness" - which is missing in my class.



I think these cards will give students something to support them and let them know that they can be successful.

What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Math Icon Board

Remote Learning Recommendations, part 1

My Personal User Manual