Blendspace in the classroom

In my classroom, before BYOD and Kahoot, there was Blendspace.  It was my first foray into technology beyond BrainPop and YouTube Videos.  






Here's the lowdown:
  • My lessons are a mix of videos and problems to work.  I also include problem solving strategies and solutions to the problems.

What I like:
  • Students can go at their own pace. They can pause the videos to ask questions or rewind the parts they need to re-hear or rewatch.
  • Students who need more assistance get more individualized instruction.
  • Students who understand are not waiting on a teacher who is reteaching to a few.
  • Students can take notes at their own pace - if they choose take notes while watching the videos.
  • It engages students that wouldn’t normally be engaged.
  • Students choose how involved they want to be - it gives them ownership of their learning.  
  • In my class, students will work together on the problems presented, if they arrive there at the same time.

Possible Issues:
  • Sometimes it is hard to find videos that work to your specific lessons, so you may have to make your own.
  • It can require more prep work.

Here are some photos of my students working on Blendspace.




These two are pausing the videos to take notes




.





These two are working on a problem together. The next slide in the Blendspace lesson is a picture of the solution - complete with 'work'! 



If you want to check them out - you can find all my lessons at http://goo.gl/eKkX8P

Comments

  1. It seems as though you are almost a flipped classroom. You are amazing! Keep it up!
    Alissa C

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Math Icon Board

Remote Learning Recommendations, part 1

My Personal User Manual