Breaking the rules

I realized this morning I hadn't blogged in a couple days... turns out it has been about 8 days.  Wow!

In the process of being a reflective teacher, I realized that I was focusing so much on my profession that I wasn't focusing on me and my family, especially starting right after Halloween.  And that focus was affecting me - specifically my outlook, my attitude, and my disposition.  All I could see was what I was doing wrong and what they weren't understanding because of a variety of reasons.  Because of that, my dispostiion was affecting my students. We weren't having good days, in learning and behavior.   Then there was finally that one class that kinda broke me.  

After that, I realized that I needed a break.  Having a sub to go to PD or even taking a day to get a pedicure and have lunch with a friend was not enough of a break - and me not being in the classroom might have hurt my students - and that was part of my growing problem. 

I broke a cardinal teacher rule and took a whole weekend off. From Friday at 4PM until Monday when I woke, I did nothing school related. I didn't check email, lesson plan, or peruse Pinterest for lesson ideas.  I think I popped on Twitter for a moment, but I don't remember.  And I didn't blog.  

I went shopping with my daughters. We had friends over to watch football and play games.  I went to the grocery store and JCPenney's.  I did laundry.  I started a new book.  I went to my nephew's football game in the freezing cold.  


I will pick up where I left off in the #reflectiveteacher blog days, but honestly, isn't this part of what being a reflective teacher is about?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Math Icon Board

Remote Learning Recommendations, part 1

My Personal User Manual