Day 6: What does a good mentor do?

Mentor: someone who teaches or gives help and advice to a less experienced and often younger person (according to Merriam-Webster)




I had to look it up, because to be honest, I wasn't sure I could describe one.  I had a 'mentor' my first year of teaching, but I don't feel like I got anything from her.  She didn't really reach out to me, and honestly, I didn't seek her out either.  

So what does a good mentor do?  If I could go back to that time - to her or to me - what advice would I give?  Looking back, what did I need that first year?

First, I think a good mentor checks in.  As a teacher, time is precious. I understand that we all have a thousand items are our to-do list, and we work many more hours than advertised.  But having someone stick their head in my room, on a regular basis, to make sure I was okay, would have been nice.  The conversation doesn't have to be long or be about lesson plans. Just knowing someone is there, and cares, can really mean a lot to a first year teacher.  

Second, I think a good mentor shares their tricks.  If you have a shortcut for grading, the location to the secret printer, or something small that helps with your to-do list, it should be shared.  The new teacher may not use it, but sometimes, it's a lifesaver thrown to a drowing person.  

Finally, I think a good mentor listens.  I don't need anyone to solve my problems, but having someone to listen while I talk (and think out loud) is good to have.  And if I can't solve my problem, the mentor knows about it and can help work on a solution.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Math Icon Board

Remote Learning Recommendations, part 1

My Personal User Manual